Thursday, June 11, 2015

Open Mic Update / Upcoming Shows



Tuesday night’s Underground Open Mic was a truly amazing affair. Mike Weber of Shadow Fox Photography took some killer pictures, as usual. You can view them here. Oh, and the raffle prize was a sick TMNT razor scooter – totally jealous of whoever won that. Next week's Open Mic is already brewing - check it!

I was super excited to finally see Maiden Mars. They were awesome! A simple 3 piece band, all ladies, they had great energy and set the fun and rocking tone for the rest of the night. You can listen here. I’m thinking maybe next time they play, Kate Kane can get someone else to introduce the next band? She wailed on those drums the whole set and looked positively exhausted afterward. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, lady. I hope to catch more shows soon.

And then there was warren terror. Another Iowa City band. I liked them. They were loud and kind of grungy. I wrote about them while they were playing, but I’m going to have to edit the hell out of that before I post it. I definitely was not concentrating on what I was hearing during that set.

Kitten Crisis from Illinois was a whole lot of fun. Actually, both out of state bands killed it and fit in perfectly with the overall feeling and sound of the night. Benny the Jet Rodriguez was way awesome. I’m not going to lie to you, peeps, I was a tad inebriated having spent a few hours at the Deadwood before even heading to the Open Mic. I mostly was just dancing and head bob/banging instead of thinking about serious reviewing. Both bands were kind of poppy, really catchy, and had really great energy. Check out the links above to find their FB pages. Kitten Crisis doesn’t really have a ton of info, but Benny has a link to their bandcamp and some really fun other stuff (the bio is awesome) and I love their description of the band as “pot punk, garage pop, queer punk, baseball lovecore”. Yeah, dude.

Rational Anthem was really great. I have missed them twice in the past few months and once I was a mere 20 feet away, distracted by something silly someone beautiful was saying, no doubt. I will not, however, be missing them ever again. Until they go on tour out west, that is. I’ve never understood how people from places like Florida and California and anywhere near the ocean end up land locked in Iowa City, but I am super glad these folks are here now. Check them out. Do it. I couldn’t find any info on upcoming shows in the area, but listen here.

And lastly, Lipstick Homicide…what can I say? Always amaze-balls. The last time I got to the see them was upstairs, for free, when Pizza on Dubuque was still a thing. Like an idiot, I went on a cleaning spree before their last show at Trumpet Blossom and ended up falling asleep with yellow rubber gloves on. I missed the whole thing. You have to see to them. I will be posting when I hear about shows. Until then, listen here.

FYI:

Crystal City is playing tonight at The Mill. I haven’t seen or heard of the other bands playing tonight, but Crystal City is always really good. I can’t go tonight, so please go for me. Order the frickles. Crystal City have a lot of gigs coming up and I highly recommend all of them, but I must insist you all go the ICYC on June 20th. You’ll cry forever if you miss that show.

Tomorrow night (6/12) Closet Witch is playing at Gabe’s. I’ve been looking forward to seeing them for a very long time. You like punk, punk? Be at this show!

See ya around ~mandab

No comments:

Post a Comment